In all of our marketing and PR activity we aim to improve the reputation and change negative perceptions of NewcastleGateshead, whether that’s regionally, nationally or internationally.
We have a number of audiences we target, each for different reasons:
- ‘Nesting cosmos’ (our name for 25-35 year old young professionals): to persuade them to come and visit, stay overnight and spend their money on weekend breaks.
- National and international conference organisers: to convince them to bring their event, and delegates, to the region.
- Local residents: to help keep them informed and tell them what’s going on in our twin-city, so they don’t miss out on any of our fantastic festivals and events.
Throughout the year we run a number of campaigns in collaboration with our partners. Some of these include:
- City-break campaigns targeting Nesting Cosmos living in cities in Scotland, Yorkshire and the North West to encourage them to take a break in NewcastleGateshead. This includes targeted marketing activity which is appropriate to the group e.g. online and radio advertising, national newspaper supplements and PR.
- Attendance at key events and trade shows to speak directly to the business events industry from across the world. Here we generate enquiries and create interest for conferences that could be hosted in NewcastleGateshead by large international associations and corporate companies.
- Specific festival and event promotion to raise the profile of key annual events held in and around NewcastleGateshead e.g. EAT! food festival, the Bridges Festival, Juice children’s festival and the Winter Festival.
Year round activity:
We carry out a number of activities that support all of our campaigns and allow us to generate interest and promote NewcastleGateshead all year round:
- NewcastleGateshead.com (this website) profiles the destination and provides ideas and inspiration on where to go, what to see and do as well as where to stay.
- Our comprehensive PR plan includes a programme of media visits from national and international journalists interested in all kinds of things our twin-city has to offer.
- We produce a printed Pocket Guide of attractions to encourage visitors to make the most of their time here, which has recently been joined by an i-App destination guide.
- We have a continued programme of digital marketing activity, which includes online advertising, monthly e-marketing campaigns and social networking activity.
- And our digital strategy also means we have better communications with local businesses and our partners, helping them to become more involved in our work and spread the word about how great NewcastleGateshead really is!